Monday, April 02, 2007






DMC embroidery floss comes in a kaleidoscopic range of pastels, brights, rich, earth, and jewel tones, and neutrals, and it can be mighty addictive at a mere 25 c per skein. Choosing among them is like opening that brand-new pack of Crayolas and deciding which of 64 "Different, Brilliant Colors" to use first -- an embarassment of riches. As I've expanded my crafting beyond knitting, and spent more and more time at general crafting stores, I've known one of my kids would eventually be enchanted by something, and I'm glad it turned out to be dmc floss. It was Robin who spied the stuff on a recent trip to JoAnn's and we walked out with the sewing machine needles I needed, plus some 14 count Aida, 2 embroidery hoops, a packet of needles, and 8 skeins of dmc each. I was thrilled to rediscover embroidery -- that's my little sampler on the right -- and delighted to teach the children (Robin's work is in the hoop.) Wren lost interest after a single row of running stitch, but Robin is as enchanted with embroidery as he is with knitting. He's such a craftsmen -- every stitch has to be perfect, and he picks out his mistakes immediately. Such a contrast to my sloppy habits! I suppose he gets his artistic bent from me and his craftsmanship from his father -- a fortunate combination!

Dinner tonight: White bean salad with tomato, olives, feta, and parsley, with a lemony, garlicky vinaigrette

No comments: