Wednesday, September 26, 2007




Here's another variation of the 11th hour hat, this time with an i-cord loop and garter earflaps and ties. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of my new favorite hat formula -- each of my kids' winter hats this year will be some variation on the theme, and I've just heard of another baby to be born in late winter/early spring who will get one as well. I still haven't cast on for Piper's hat, and I'm a little stuck because I accidentally bought wool instead of cotton for her. My bil claims a wool allergy, and there's really no polite way of finding out whether he simply remembers a scratchy sweater made of cheap wool or whether even the softest merino would give him hives -- however politic I try to be, I'm sure I'll come across as a wool-fiend in total denial of the mere possibility of a wool allergy. Which, I suppose, I am. Sort of. I'm willing to accept that a very small number of unfortunate souls have a true allergy to wool, and that a fair number of people with sensitive skin will experience contact dermatitis after touching any coarse fiber, including some wools, but I admit I smiled broadly when I read Elizabeth Zimmerman's approach to wool allergies in Knitting Without Tears. As it turns out, a quick google search corroborated my hunch and clued me in to the existence of an International Wool Secretariat. It sounds almost Machiavellian, but it's apparently just a trade/research organization. Well. However I may feel, I'm not going to take a chance on making an innocent (and, can I say, breathtakingly gorgeous) baby suffer. So even though the Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino is very soft indeed, I think I'd better use a plant fiber for the new niece, just in case.

dinner tonight: Orrechiette with Italian sausage, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, green beans vinaigrette, and fresh figs

No comments: