Monday, October 01, 2007

Menu Monday!!

I would love to live within easy walking distance of a daily, open-air market so that I could do as so many of my favorite cookbook authors do, and plan each evening's meal based on what was freshest and best that very morning. I make do with a good weekend market and several good grocery stores and ethnic markets, several of which I can walk to, and all of which are an easy drive or a torturous* bus trip away. I go to the markets with some ideas in mind, and adjust to what I find. Even if I haven't had time to plan anything, I have enough meals in each season's rotation that I can usually shop without a list. The fun begins when I get home and shape my market haul into the week's menu. I try to have one chicken and one fish meal, and the rest either vegetarian or nearly so (by which I mean any meat is more by way of a flavoring agent or condiment than a main course) and at least one bean and one pasta meal, for econcomy's sake. I usually end up at the grocery store, conveniently located next door to my local coffee shop/book store, several times a week, so I can pick up any bits and bobs that I need along the way. I've been struggling with keeping our grocery spending within budget lately, so I thought I'd start posting my menus each Monday ('cause I can't resist an alliterative title!) and review them each month to see where the extravagence comes in, and where I might cut back. Of course, I also just think it's fun to read and write about food, cooking, and menu planning!

Sunday: Spaghetti and Meatballs

Monday: Parsnip Soup, Cranberry Nut Bread

Tuesday: Arroz con Pollo

Wednesday: Curried Lentils with Basmati Rice, Peas, and Carrots

Thursday: Black Bean and Corn Burritos

Friday: Fried Salted Cod, Skordalia, Salad

Saturday: Meatloaf Muffins w BBQ sauce, Smashed Potatoes, Green Beans (courtesy of my children and Rachael Ray)


No comments: