Tuesday, February 12, 2008



I blogged myself into a corner with that one didn't I? Glorious and resplendent indeed. I think I was delirious when I wrote that last entry. Certainly I was in the grip of a nasty contagion that is only just beginning to release it's wicked hold on my family. Justin is still suffering, but I don't count him since he so seldom gets sick. That's entirely unfair but still I discount him and his suffering.

I did manage to plan some future finished objects that I hope to imbue* with a measure of glory and splendor*. The first one is our family craft project for February/March. I say that as though 'our family craft project' is an old accustomed habit but to tell the truth the inspiration just hit me a mere few days ago. But I think we're going to pull this one off, especially since I have projects for the next few months already dreamed up, and they're all fairly simple and low-cost.

So, for the next few weeks we're all going to be folding paper cranes from 6" origami paper, spare wrapping paper, old newspapers, and maybe even some starched calico. I'm not sure if I can manage that last one. When we have lots and lots** we're going to hang them from our dogwood tree and leave them as long as they last or until they really start to look grungy. I think it'll be gorgeous -- all those colors fluttering in the breeze (if it pleases March to send us breezes and not to send us gales) and serving as a sort of promise token for the blossoms that will follow in April.

*I'm normally obedient in matters of spelling but it annoys me not to spell imbue with an 'e' fore and aft, instead of just aft, and I think splendor with a 'u' would be more splendid. Thuslyish: 'Embue with splendour...'

** Here, 'lots and lots' probably means upwards of 300 cranes, but it's hard to say. I think we'd need an outrageous amount for it to really look good.

No comments: