Thursday, February 28, 2008


I finished my apron for the Sassy Apron Swap with a mere 2 days to spare. I'm not usually keen on February, and in the past I've been a tiny bit snarly on Leap Day, but I'm very glad of the extra day this year since it allows me to feel virtuous and, dare I say it, smug, because I'll be sending my apron package out tomorrow, April 29th, an entire day ahead of the deadline. I'll be honest and admit that I'll also be sending my nephew's birthday card out several days after the happy occasion, but as I frequently neglect birthday cards entirely, I think I can chalk this one up in my favor as well. Am I not virtue personified?

Tonight's dinner was a spectacular hit. Red cabbage braised in wine, from the Fields of Greens cookbook, maple-glazed pork shoulder roast from the March 2003 Cook's Illustrated, and a buttery, peppery, soft polenta that I improvised. Just the thing to console me when it's cold outside and in and I've run out of chocolate. The wine I bought for braising is quite nice for drinking as well, and most consolatory.

1 comment:

Mama Chelly, Abalicious, Ckarl and Bino said...

Oh, girlfriend, I didn't know you were holding out on me!!
Home schooling, knitting, mommy-ing, COOKING and BLOGGING?!?
I have to admit to my plan of copying your menus (and then, of course, contacting you for recipes).
Thank you for your inspirations.
Mama Chelly (aka Rachel)