Thursday, May 15, 2008

Finished Object!

I finished this several weeks ago but life interfered whenever I tried to post it here. I used Blue Sky Organic Cotton and followed the EZ seamless raglan formula, my usual favorite for quick and easy kid sweaters. I modified it slightly to have a short placket, thus accomodating the big ol' toddler head. I'm very pleased with the result. I tried to make it on the large side and I still hope Finch will wear this in the Fall, but I have my doubts. I'd like to think that the number of grandchildren I'll eventually have will be directly proportional to the number of handknits I churn out but, again , I have my doubts. I won't grumble even if he does grow out of it before the Fall, because seeing his pleasure and pride in the thing made it wholly worthwhile. The first time he wore it, he hugged himself and laughed maniacally for several minutes before running around the house yelling "mine! mine! mine sweater!"

That was in early April and we are probably through with the sweaters for the season. Yesterday the kids and I spent the day at my friend's farm. The kids ran around like wild things, feeding the chickens, teasing the geese, playing in the river, and generally looking like a tribe of little flower children. I helped plant tomatoes, peppers, basil, and zucchini. I can't wait to see this garden in a month's time!

Today my big kids were rather subdued, and Finch was at his worst during yoga, but he perked up a bit in the library. Then he perked up some more, so much so that we had to leave precipitously. As we were leaving, the librarian asked Finch if he could say 'hi' and he instead said 'bye' and she replied, 'ah, just as well.' Truer words were never spoken! We treated ourselves to lunch at Clementine, where I had the most superbly delicious sandwich I've ever had and a glass of basil lime elixir that was delightful by itself and perfect with the sandwich. I can't possibly feel envious of folks who live out in the country on days when I've had lunch at Clementine.


dinner tonight: pineapple cashew stir-fry over quinoa

No comments: