Tuesday, June 03, 2008


We watched this little beauty struggling to fly last night. The children wanted to 'rescue' him but generally fledglings fluttering around on the ground are best left alone. We snapped this picture and made sure to keep Roonces the Cat indoors for the night. This morning I was a little concerned to see Baby Jay still on the ground but I was reassured when I saw the parents dive-bombing our neighbor when he tried to pick the little creature up. When we got back from African Drumming and Dance, the baby had finally flown. I've been considering volunteering at our nearest wildlife rescue center, with an eye to becoming a certified wildlife rehabilitator myself, and seeing this little jay was good incentive to actually make the call.

All is well in the garden -- the catbirds are very fond of the serviceberries which are just now ripening, and the drip bath is again proving popular. Even our viburnum has a few berries, so there must be a compatible species somewhere in the neighborhood. Good news indeed, since I don't have room for another viburnum in my own yard. I dug a small cucumber and squash bed (just 2 plants of each) and put a Rutgers tomato and a Red Beauty pepper each in a large pot. The perennial bed will have to wait until fall, and possibly longer as we rethink our plans.


dinner tonight: stewed green beans, spiced feta, herbed focaccia: nourishing, cheap, and delicious!

1 comment:

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

I think it is wonderful that you want to be a wildlife rehabilitator. The job is an important one.

You did the right thing keeping watch over the jay but not picking it up.Bless you and your family for your concern.

Shari Lyle-Soffe
http://www.rooterandsnuffle.blogspot.com