Monday, July 14, 2008


mysteryalpaca
Originally uploaded by 3Birds
I bought this last Fall during our semiannual jaunt to the shore. The colors remind me of the sea, sky, and sand, and the red reminds me of the terns and laughing gulls that I watched while the children played on the beach. I've been wanting to try my hand at some Fair Isle knitting, and I think this will be the perfect yarn. It's an alpaca/merino blend, delightfully soft, so the designs will be muted rather than crisp, which I like. Since it's my first attempt at this kind of colorwork, I think I'll do a simple scarf rather than the seamless circular yoke sweater I'd originally planned. Of course, Finch would be absolutely gorgeous in these colors, but I've never knit anything for myself, and it's awfully nice yarn for a kid who will grow out of it within a year.

I'm also working on my first lace project using Lorna's Laces "Helen's Lace" in 'Tahoe' a gorgeous mix of blues and purples. The lace pattern is super easy but even so I've had to use stitch markers and a fair amount of concentration. I can listen to podcasts but not watch television while I'm working on it, so I do need to cast-on a hat or dishcloth or something to knit while Justin and I watch our Netflix dvds.

Dinner tonight: grilled chicken thighs, roasted potatoes with olive oil and rosemary, steamed favas with lemon vinaigrette

No comments: