Sunday, December 28, 2008

2009 Project List


flamewavesample
Originally uploaded by 3Birds
A lot of the projects I conceive of never make it out of the speculative stage because I forget about them before I begin. I have a queue of knitting projects on Ravelry, but the folks who designed that fabulous knitting community prefer to keep the focus on knitting, crochet, and spinning. Short of designing a sewing/embroidery/baking/candy-making/papercrafting/weaving/bookmaking/etc knock-off (which, noway, nohow!) I suppose the best way to improve my follow-through would be to maintain a craft journal. Since I'm almost certainly too undisciplined and disorganized (my blog's previous incarnation wasn't called the Desultory Knitter for nothing!) to keep a journal, I'm going to make a list now of all the projects I can think of that I'd like to try this year. Ideally, I'll post similar lists to my blog from time to time whenever I'm inspired. Perhaps I'll eventually move this to a sidebar, and simply add to it whenever I'm moved to do so. For now, here are some of my plans for Creating in 2009:

1. I'm in love with the stitch pattern pictured above, and I think it'd make a lovely scarf without the garter edging.

2. A project I started last year, but that fizzled, still interests me: I want to make oodles of paper cranes and hang them from my dogwood tree just as it's beginning to bud out but before it blooms.

3. I absolutely MUST make doughnuts this year! Just plain buttermilk doughnuts with a sprinkling of cinnamon and powdered sugar. Then we'll gobble them up and wash them down with cocoa for the kids and coffee for the grown ups. I'm going to do this soon, because it seems like a good winter project, but I also want to do it in the fall and serve them with apple cider.

4. I also want to perfect my recipe for apple candy (also called 'aplets' and, when made with apricots, 'cotlets') I tried a recipe I found online and wasn't entirely happy with it -- the candies were a little too soft so I'm going to try adding pectin or increasing the gelatin or cooking the apples down more. Or, probably, all three singly and in combination until I make them exactly the way I want them.

5. I want to make some small muslin bags for my knitting projects; normally I shove my knitting into my big old messenger bag but the yarn gets tangled with my keys and things and I end up dropping stitches just trying to fish the thing out and it always ends up getting dusty and sad looking. My plan is for simple drawstring bags out of muslin, but dressed up with embroidery -- I have lots of embroidery patterns from Wee Wonderfuls and Sublime Stitching as well as some vintage transfers, so this would be a fun way to use some of them. This idea was inspired (swiped is probably more accurate) from an ad I saw for some muslin project bags with a swallow or something stamped on them. Which brings me to number...

6. I want to try various printing projects. I have the Lotta Jansdotter book, and another book that was mentioned in one of my blogs as being even better is in my Amazon wishlist, and I've been wanting to do this for nearly a year already. I've always loved woodblock prints, particularly Hokusai's Mt. Fuji prints, as well as the many examples I have in children's picture books. I don't aspire to anything like that, because I never could draw, but I think I can manage some simple prints.

7. I want to find a penpal and correspond regularly through letters. I had a penpal when I was young (well, several really, but only one whom I wrote to regularly) and it was lots of fun. Email is convenient, and it has it's own charm I suppose, but it's not as elegant or literary as a real letter. I remember how fun it was to decorate the margins and the envelope, and to select tiny little things to send along with the letter. I'm not sure how I'll find a penpal, whether I'll invite someone I already know to exchange letters or whether I'll try to connect with a stranger from another country, but I'm very excited about this.

That's enough to be going on with I think. I was going to do a top-ten, but I can't possibly order my list in any meaningful way and anyhow, 7 is more magical and poetic than 10. Not to disrespect 10 -- where would we be without the decimal system? -- but I prefer odd numbers in any case.


dinner tonight: carry-out -- I had a blast cooking for Christmas but I need a break!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I am resolved to get back into embroidery this year-- I have to half-finished projects, one never-started project I have the materials for, and another project waiting (a button-down I want to embellish). I'm going to pick back up for those long hours when I'm waiting for Raf to come home and watching old "West Wings".

That would make a beautiful scarf! I think I have a doughnut recipe around that my friend Alissa swears by, let me know if you want it and I'll send you a FBook message. Maybe I'll even try it out soon myself and let you know how it goes!