Thursday, January 01, 2009

Practical, portable, patternless...perfect!


redhat
Originally uploaded by 3Birds
I've been knitting lots of hats lately because they are well suited to knitting while visiting, riding in the car, and waiting (for the cookies to bake, the husband to take his turn at Scrabble, the line to move, etc.) Hats are among the simplest of projects, yet non-knitting strangers seem unduly delighted and astonished by hats-in-progress. One stranger, a beginning knitter, assured me that she could never aspire to this height of knitterly glory. I've heard this before, and I think it would be a fine thing to cast ample stitches onto a 16" circular so as to have a teaching example ready and waiting. I could carry it with me at all times, and whip it out whenever anyone claimed that such skill is beyond them.

This hat is knit in 3x2 ribbing in a gorgeous handpaint I got at Spinster Yarns and Fibers. I'll edit with the name of the yarn if/when I remember or figure it out. My first round of decreases reduced the purl columns to 1 stitch each, then I did a few plain rounds before decreasing away the remaining purls. At some point I decided to put in a horizontal rib (purl welt) of about 2 rounds, but I wish I hadn't. Not so much that I'm willing to undo it you understand, but I should have stuck to stockinette, or, possibly, reverse stockinette. The top-knot is simply i-cord on the last 3 stitches, about 4" long and then bound off and knotted. I like this and use it a lot, as you can see from exhibit #2:





This is knit in, I think, Debbie Bliss cashmerino. I've had it some time now and can't remember. This is just a simple, striped infant hat with basic crown shaping. It reminds me of those peppermint pinwheel candies, and is knit for a wee lass who is scheduled to make her debut in the next few weeks. I wish her and her mother a safe and easy birthday.






dinner tonight: beef stew and dinner rolls

2 comments:

Piroska said...

That pink and white hat is simply edible!

Kate said...

Love the pink hat!! Really cute!